Friday, April 9, 2010

He is risen indeed, alleluia

Blogs are supposed to offer timely, up-to-the-minute commentary on the issues of the day. Why read the newspaper - by the time it goes to print, any information in it is already hours out of date. If you want to know what's going on in the world right now, everyone knows to head to This Blog Will Change the World, where you can find out about the very latest fashions and trends before anyone else. Right?

Not really. TBWCTW has always been less about "up-to-the-minute news" and more about "densely written essays addressing a wide variety of topics, particularly ones upon which I am absolutely unqualified to give a considered opinion". But as indifferent as I usually am to timeliness, it is now Friday in the Easter octave and my most recent post is a Good Friday responsory. I apologize to those of you who may have been confused.

So - Christ is risen! The days immediately following Easter were intensely busy, but the service itself was a highlight of my week; there is nothing quite like accompanying a full congregation in all nine verses of "Hail thee, festival day."

As part of your forty days of feasting, I commend to you Britten's spectacular Festival Te Deum, in this 1963 recording by the choir of St. John's College, Cambridge:

2 comments:

diplomatizer said...

Thanks for posting that recording--it takes me right back to my visit to St John's College a few years ago (I climbed the bell tower!)

Gavin Plumley said...

I think that's a terrific piece... the key change at 'thou art the King of Glory' never fails to wow.