Friday, August 28, 2009

The medium, or the message?

Someone has decided to post the entire works of Shakespeare on Twitter, at ten-minute intervals. The feed can be followed here.

I can't claim to understand why anyone would embark on such a project, or why it has attracted over 850 followers to date. (If I want to read a Shakespeare play, I set aside an evening and finish it in one sitting if at all possible: I can think of few things more frustrating than reading King Lear backwards, one line at a time, over a period of several weeks.) But then, I have never really understood the import of Twitter in the first place, and maintain a posture of dyspeptic mistrust towards all forms of new technology except for organ console accessories.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I enjoy twitter. It's true that there's a lot of fluff around on it, but it can be used in very sensical ways. Twitter is one of my main communication lines to my American cousins, for example.