Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The drama of modern living

The Search for the Canadian Identity
or, Sketches for a Doctoral Dissertation in Sociology

Dramatis personae:
Vir Americanus, a tourist
Femina Americana, his wife
A Passer-by
Osbert Parsley, an off-duty blogger

Scene: An intersection in downtown Toronto

Vir Americanus: Hey, you! Are you a Canadian?
Passer-by: Errr, yes.
Vir Americanus: We were told there were Victorian homes around here. Do you know where the Victorian homes are?
Passer-by: Ummm, I'm not exactly sure.
Vir Americanus: We're trying to find the Victorian homes.
Femina Americana: Yes, that's right.
Vir Americanus: Have you seen any? Do you know what a Victorian home is? Are you a Canadian?
Passer-by: Yes, I am a Canadian!

(Exit Osbert into a waiting streetcar, with some haste.)

2 comments:

Christine said...

Did you at least point them toward the Annex before you ran? Or did you just run?

I will not blame you if the latter; I am merely curious.

Osbert Parsley said...

I just ran. I had just finished practicing, was covered in sweat and didn't have the presence of mind to deal with the Americani. Plus, I was in a hurry to catch my streetcar.

I imagine, on reflection, that they were looking for some old houses in Cabbagetown (as we were down at King and Parliament), but this didn't occur to me at the time.