Monday, May 25, 2009

Requiescat in pace

I'm several days late, but wanted to make sure that I noted the recent death of British Composer Nicholas Maw (1935-2009). Maw's a composer whose work I've found interesting, but who I don't know as well as I'd like. I posted a while back on my experience listening to his massive orchestral work Odyssey, a continuous 90-minute span of music unlike anything else in the literature. I still can't make up my mind about the piece; is it too long for its own good, or have I just not cracked it yet?

Maw's obituary in the New York Times mentions his sole organ work, Essay (1961), which supposedly marked a transition from his atonal student works to his mature, Neoromantic style. The work does not appear to have ever been recorded, and I don't know of anyone that performs it. This, obviously, is reason enough for me to buy the music.

2 comments:

neiman said...

Remember Y2K?

Also- I was Sars long before it was a disease.

neiman said...

Gah. This was clearly meant for the Swine Flu post.