Monday, December 15, 2008

The organist as analyst, and other stories

At some point in the recent history of this blog, I must have used the word "analysis" in one of my entries, because I am now getting all sorts of fly-by Google hits from people looking for analyses of various contemporary works. Repertoire which Google thinks I might have analysed includes Hindemith's flute sonata, Ravel's Tombeau de Couperin, and Turangalila. These people are undoubtedly extremely disappointed, but their e-disapproval weighs lightly on my conscience - good musicians analyse their own music.

In other news, Jeffrey Tucker (of The New Liturgical Movement) has posted an open letter to praise and worship musicians. Given the background of the NLM team, this obviously applies most readily to Roman Catholic musicians, but my own Anglican church has faced similar issues. An essential read for anyone who doesn't quite understand the need for traditional music in the Christian liturgy, and written much better than I would be able to (and with fewer expletives).

2 comments:

diplomatizer said...

Wow...I think that's the first time I've seen my liturgical musical background so well-articulated. He hit the nail on the head--the music of the 70s and 80s that was great for my parents' generation has become stale for mine (and I have plenty of friends who've turned to the Dark Side of Lifeteen music).

I've always felt uncomfortable with Praise & Worship, both spiritually (it *doesn't* inspire reverence in me) and as a musician (musically, it sucks--hey, I like prog rock, okay?). And it's funny that the very few times that I've heard traditional chant used (Holy Thursday, mainly), I've felt entirely out of place because all the older people know it (despite their efforts to forget it), and I don't.

Osbert Parsley said...

I don't think we need to be embarrassed about saying that Praise and Worship music sucks. It's not a question of judging it against the standards of traditional church music, or the mainstream "Classical tradition" - it's clearly inferior to the mainstream pop music of its time.