Monday, October 13, 2008

The horrors of intercity travel

From my perspective, there are few greater horrors in our urban world than a large bus terminal on a holiday weekend. Hordes of people milling around, endless lineups, exhaust fumes everywhere, having to scramble out of the way of traffic, and - worst of all for this musician - the literally deafening noise of a dozen buses, all with engines idling, in a confined space. I kept having visions of calling up R. Murray Schafer and launching a nation-wide anti-bus campaign.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I did not have an enjoyable bus ride home from my Thanksgiving weekend. But all of this seems rather petty in retrospect - after all, I was travelling from a relaxing, enjoyable holiday meal with family to my comfortable, adequately-heated home. On a holiday intended for us to take time to be glad of what we have, how sad that my mood can be so totally ruined by an hour and a half standing in line at a bus depot.

Over at She Reads Books, Christine is setting a much better example - she's challenging her readers, between now and American Thanksgiving, to donate towards outfitting a school. If you feel, as I do, that the cause of education is worth supporting, please consider visiting her blog's World Vision page here.

1 comment:

Matiz (Travel Business Opportunity) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.