Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Osbert's Miscellany

From Saul Bellow, a bon mot on relationships that sounds like it belongs in Private Lives:
There is much to be said for exotic marriages. If your husband is a bore, it takes years longer to discover it, in French.
Saul Bellow, Mr. Sammler's Planet, 218.

For the two people who follow classical music blogs but somehow haven't got around to Soho the Dog: a fascinating post on the reception history of modernist music, aesthetics, and Marshall McLuhan. I'm pretty sure he didn't write the post solely for my personal interest, but it certainly seems awfully suspicious.

And, to make the post look longer on the page, disguising my obvious lack of enthusiasm for blogging at the moment: a picture of an iguana.

3 comments:

Heather said...

awesome

shogart said...

I think I must read Saul Bellow.

natalie said...

Love the iguana! It's getting me even more excited for the animals I might see and the music I might hear as I explore the world.

My husband and I leave on September 30th to backpack to various countries around the world for a year or so.

As we have been planning for our adventure we have been updating a blog. www.nomadbackpackers.com We would love to have other opinions, ideas, encouragement, advice, helpful tips, and more left as comments.

Thanks,
Natalie