Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Uncanny.

Inspired by my recent revelation of self-knowledge, I decided it was time to actually read Joyce's Ulysses. After all, I loved Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, and I've had the book sitting around for an embarrassingly long time. I figured Monday (yesterday) would be a good time to start reading, since I had two hours to kill on a train ride.

Why is this uncanny? Because yesterday was June 16th, or Bloomsday - the popular celebration of all things Joyce, and the day on which the events of Ulysses take place. And because I had no idea whatsoever of that celebration until I read about it in today's newspaper.

Needless to say, all my doors are locked and bolted.

1 comment:

Alice said...

My mother is the only person I know (personally) who ever read Ulysses. She used to leave it in a prominent spot on the bookshelf in hopes that someone would spot it and (having also read it) discuss it with her. Don't think it ever happened (yet -- she's only 85).