Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Meanwhile, in Albuquerque

So I was shocked to find, upon logging into Blogger this evening, that the brilliant blog posts I've written over the past two weeks seem to have completely vanished! My insightful dissertation on the paradox of predestination, free will and divine foresight; my scintillating accounts of my oral hygiene procedures; my witty parody of bad conducting textbooks - all, all are vanished into the ether! I could never recover them; I spent too long writing them and neglected to make any copies, and the same flash of inspiration may never strike me again! Ah, infamy!

The worst part of all of this is that people who read this blog may have thought the worst: that I have been busy, and pursuing other priorities at this time of year, and that I have been neglecting this blog in favour of those other concerns! I assure you that nothing could possibly be farther from the truth.

Each time I've seen other organists around this week my first reaction has been to ask how Easter went. Now on the one hand, this is silly: Christ has risen from the dead every year for two millennia, and is not going to be offended and return to the tomb if our hymn reharmonizations are not up to snuff. On the other hand, most of us have been worrying for weeks about how the service would go, and whether the choir would be able to get through all of the repertoire they had to sing through Holy Week and still have any voice left for Sunday, and whether it was a good idea to put Argento's "Prelude for Easter Dawning" on the service music list when I'm supposed to be playing a solo recital the Sunday after Easter (if you're wondering, the service went wonderfully, the choir sang brilliantly all week long, and the Argento was almost certainly a mistake).

Something always seems to come together on Easter Sunday, however; it's a week when I always seem to be stretching the choir (and myself) to the utmost, but I've never yet had a train wreck. My choir, a small volunteer ensemble, was struggling up to the day of the service with a tricky communion motet ("Haec dies", by William Byrd), but when it came time to sing the piece in the service, something finally clicked and the piece came off. I've witnessed choirs falling apart in much easier pieces when the choristers were much better prepared and better rested, but Easter services always seem to come off.

Interesting, is all.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Gosh! I'm so sorry to have missed all your other posts...I knew something was missing the last couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

I think you mean "Christ...is not going to be offended and return to the grave if our hymn reharmonizations are NOT up to snuff." 'Mazing what a difference a negative makes.

Heather said...

And here I thought you were busy writing papers and such.

Osbert Parsley said...

Gack! You're right. How embarrassing!

SadOatcakes said...

Check your drafts folder; you may have been hitting 'save' instead of 'publish'.